Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ghanaian Turns of Phrase

(Yes, they speak English here. No, we don’t always understand.)

The Regulars (bona fide expressions):
“I will go and come.” – I am leaving and I’ll be back.
“I will take the lead.” – I’m going ahead/I’ll meet you there.
“Come on time.” – See you later.
“How is back?” – How have things been while I was gone?
“Have you taken your food?” – Have you eaten?
“You are invited.” – Come eat with us.
“You have seen it.” – You understand.
“Bus stop!” – I’m getting out here.
“I am coming.” – I’ll be right back.
“Requesting permission to fall out.” – I’d like to leave.

More Translations from English to English (the once in a while ones):
“Are you strong?” – How are you doing?
“By his grace I am also alive.” – Fine, thank you.
“She is guilty with time.” – Florence is always late.
“Small small” – Just a bit. As in “We will work, small small.” Or “You would like pepper (sauce) small small.”
“You are becoming deformed.” – You’ve lost weight and/or your beard is getting long. (Maybe?)
“She will release the water when she returns.” – When she gets back to the farm, Tina will give you some water bags from my room.
“Lulu’s idea is always the poorest!” – Lulu (the puppy) is not so smart.

1 comment:

  1. I'd never make it as an editor there...but what a delightful and sensible language! I love it.

    ReplyDelete